|Register here to receive our email alerts for events and other information.|
The first irrefutable record of The Haydon is 25th November, 1809, during which day, on the vast Greenwich Hospital estates sequestered from the Earls of Derwentwater, they killed their fox in the open after a hunt of some three hours. Their quarry, stuffed and mounted in a glass case with appropriate inscription, remains today as testimony to this event.
The pack, at that time, hunted both hare and fox and was ‘trencher-fed’ with local farmers throughout their country, each responsible for perhaps a couple or two of hounds, meeting twice a week. Although the pack was not kennelled together at that time, the members based their headquarters at The Anchor Inn, at the southern end of the old stone bridge spanning the river South Tyne at Haydon Bridge. This former coaching inn also still thrives today.
All that was now over two hundred years ago and much has happened since, to both Field Sports generally and The Haydon specifically. Since 1971, the hounds have been kennelled at Settlingstones, near Newbrough and the hunt is still managed by a committee. However, a full-time Professional Hunstman is now in charge of day-to-day management at the kennels and four Joint-Masters run the country.
The Haydon Hunt country straddles the river South Tyne during much of its length, running from Fourstones, on the western outskirts of Hexham, westwards to the county boundary with Cumbria. Much of the Saturday Country is in this fertile South Tyne Valley. North of this, rising to well over 1000’, lies spectacular Hadrian’s Wall whilst to the south is Hexham Shire, which runs runs through to Cumbria and the foothills of the Pennines. At its most southern extremity, it borders Ullswater Hunt country, although a small strip between the two is currently lent to The North Pennine Hunt. It also adjoins The Bewcastle and North Tyne Hunts to the west and north and The Tynedale and Braes of Derwent Hunts to the east and south. It’s a large and, in many parts, wild and still remarkably unspoiled, stone-wall country, requiring versatile hounds with stamina and a sure-footed horse, at home on heather or grass.
The Haydon currently hunts three days a week; Mondays, usually, are on foot.
Since the inception of the Hunting with Dogs Act, which became law in February 2005, The Haydon of course continues to hunt only within the legal constrictions imposed; following artificial trails skilfully laid by volunteer members and attempting, so far as is possible, to emulate the real thing. Membership, from all ages and across all walks of life, remains solid and deeply committed to safeguarding the traditions of hunting and the people and animals whose livelihoods depend on it. All look forward to the day that this unfair and unworkable legislation, which does nothing to benefit animal welfare, is repealed.
Our efforts this year so far have raised over £3100 for our chosen charities, local sports clubs, the performing arts and other local good causes. Thanks to everyone who, helped, attended, performed, donated and sponsored our events.
|© 2009-17 The Haydon Hunt|
|There are no News Flashes at present.|
Please check back here for the latest information.
|HUNTING, WILDLIFE MANAGEMENT - Dec2011|
HUNTING, WILDLIFE MANAGEMENT and the
This document is a revised version of a report first published in 2009 by the Veterinary
Association for Wildlife Management and the All Party Parliamentary Middle Way Group.
22nd December 2011
|Artist donates painting to Haydon Hunt|
from Horse & Hound
5th February 2010
|Hexham Courant 200 Years 4th Dec 09|
Hexham Courant Full Page - 200 Years 4th Dec 09 "Haydon Hunt is riding high after 200 years"
22nd December 2009
|Journal Bicententenary Article|
Click on the link to read this article from the Langley Castle meet 25 Nov 2009.
27th November 2009